Wondering what to do with your decluttered items? Below is a list of resources to help you clear your clutter with good conscience. Click on the logos and links to check individual websites for more details on location, items accepted, opening hours and collection and drop off availability.
Each one will vary so check before you attend, however I do love this list taken from a local animal protection society website that demonstrates the wide range of items they are looking for including pet food and feeding items, newspapers, empty egg cartons, outdoor mats (for cats to scratch), rubber outdoor mats (with holes in them to make snuffle mats), new fleece fabric off cuts, blankets, towels, muffin trays, balls, pipe cleaners, chicken/beef stock or stock cubes, ice cube trays, and bubble blowers!
Local playgroups, kinders, schools and childcare centres will often accept art & craft supplies. Many these days will not accept anything that is a hygiene or allergen risk (e.g. toilet rolls or egg cartons). Call to check prior to donating.
- Reverse Art Truck in Ringwood and Narre Warren North (Melbourne)
- Reverse Garbage in Marrickville NSW. Check out their website and contact them first to see if they can accept your specific items. Pickup and drop off available.
BLANKETS & TOWELS
- Your local animal shelter will almost always welcome these along with newspapers and other pet needs such as food and litter.
BOTTLES & TEATS
My local Salvation Army on Frankston-Dandenong Road in Carrum Downs accepts bottles to help local families doing it tough. They have both an Op Shop and also welfare food programs and help new families starting out who are struggling. Any they can’t use are passed on to a group who raise baby kangaroos and wombats.
If you live further abroad, check with your local op shop or an animal rescue in your area to see if they will take them.
CARS & OTHER VEHICLES
CONTACT LENSES (used)
Recycle contact lenses & blister packs
CORPORATE CLOTHING, SHOES & ACCESSORIES
FAMILY NEEDS & FOOD
MUMS SUPPORTING FAMILIES IN NEED are located at 2/7 Sir Laurence Drive, Seaford VIC 3198. See the MSFIN Facebook page or their website for opening hours. little miss sorted is also happy to take items to MSFIN on your behalf. Click here for details.
GENERAL HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
Most suburbs and towns have at least one charity shop that will accept a wide variety of second hand items suitable for resale such as clothing, books, toys and furniture. Each differs slightly as to what they will and won’t accept (for example electrical goods) so if in doubt, please ask them! Some offer a collection service including:
- Brotherhood of St Laurence – Call 1300 DONATE (1300 366 283)
- Diabetes Australia – Call 1300 CLOTHING (1300-256-844) or book online
- Epilepsy Foundation of Victoria – Call the Op Shop Truck on 0425 799 415
LINEN 4 WILDLIFE
Libby is an inspirational young lady on a crusade to save our wildlife. She can accept certain types of linen (see list below or their website for specifics) at drop off points in either Diamond Creek or Thomastown (Melbourne).
- Uplift Nurses collects goods in Australia and dispatches them to assist nurses in the developing world. Visit their Facebook page for more details.
- In Australia, all chemists are required to accept expired or no-longer-required medication for safe disposal.
PERSONAL HYGIENE PRODUCTS & TOILETRIES
- Local shelters and refugee centres will often accept these items. Get in touch via phone to find out how best to get items to them.
Sample size toiletries only, such as those from hotels and airlines
TEXTILES & CLOTHING
SOMETHING ELSE TO DONATE?
GENERAL RECYCLING & SUSTAINABILITY RESOURCES
Your local council is always a good place to start. Check out their website to discover what recycling & rubbish programs operate in your area. And remember, many councils offer free hard rubbish collections which many people don’t fully utilise.
Great search facility to recycle just about anything
Victorian specific resources
Watch this space… More resources are being added all the time!
Have a resource you want to share? Need help to declutter something not listed here?Found a link that’s broken or no longer working? Drop us a line!